Sunday, September 13, 2009

watching, reading, listening, etc

Watching
Big Man Japan - 'Hysterical', 'sad', 'sweet', and 'just plain out all bizarro' are all accurate descriptions of Big Man Japan. This mockumentary introduces us to Japan's answer to its monster problem (think Godzilla type monsters). I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. Its one of Magnet Films' Six Shooter series. I also recommend Let the Right One In and Timescrimes from that series. I DO NOT recommend Eden Log, at all, under any circumstance. Avoid it at all costs!

Painkiller Jane - I read about this
show recently, which I'd never seen, and was intrigued by it. I watched the first episode today and it looks very promising. I think it is a show I will get into. I'm a sucker for anything with comic books as its source material. Apparently it was a one season run that played on Sci-Fi (or Syfy or whatever).

Lastly, I watched
Wolverine last night. It was awesome, even though it only got 36% on Rotten Tomatos. I love seeing Wolvie in action!

Reading (actually just finished)
I finished Confessor, the 11th book in Terry Goodkind's 11 volume Sword of Truth epic. As with the end of other book series' that I've read, the end was good, but not super duper spectacular. But I'm not disappointed at all. I learned that the reading of the books, the journey as it were, is actually what's important. Getting to know the characters, seeing them develop, and see the situations they get into (and get out of) is what kept me turning the pages.

Related to watching, there is a TV series in syndication based on this book series called Legend of the Seeker. I've tried to watch the first episode twice and have not been able to get all the way through it. Its thoroughly inferior to the books. In other words, it sucks and compared to the books is a waste of time.


Listening
L.A. Symphony - Pretty much that's it. I've just been on a Symph kick and will just have to keep listening to them until I can't take it anymore.

No comments: