Thursday, November 12, 2009

file under M for 'miscellaneous'

First a music video (I love Taking Back Sunday)
Set Phasers to Stun



Recommended viewing
V - the new TV series on ABC. I watched the original series as a kid and loved it, so of course I was interested in this show. The pilot was great. I haven't seen the latest episode yet but think this is one show I will follow.
Primer - a shoestring budget film, but budgets don't mean anything as far as quality is concerned. This one is good. I mean real good. Time travel is the premise. Worth watching over and over.

Recommended Reading
Dune -
This is one of those books that I've seen for years on library shelves, but have never read. I finally decided to read it because it's listed by many as the best sci-fi novel ever written. Others who rate sci-fi books will have in in the top 10 best. I've heard it called a masterpiece, and I agree. Arthur C. Clarke (author of 2001 and its sequels) said that Dune is “Unique...I know nothing comparable to it except Lord of the Rings.” I can't believe it took me all these years to get around to reading it.
Robert Frost - I'm reading a book of his poems and am blown away. I feel like I am there with the characters in his poems. I've never been much into poetry but was curious about Frost after one of his poems, The Road Not Taken was quoted in another book I'm reading. Frost is a master of words, verse, rhyme, and rhythm.

No comments: