Monday, March 17, 2008

my new favorite director

Danny Boyle - British director
Films I've seen - 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Trainspotting, & Millions

One of the main things I love about Boyle is that none of these films are alike. There is great variety and it seems to be something he strives for. The four films I listed are all extremely different. They are set in a variety of settings and deal with a variety of situations: Zombies and the end of the world; a space voyage; heroin addiction, friendship, and loyalty; greed and generosity. There are surreal moments in some of his films. There are terrifying moments in some. There are some extremely tender moments in some. He has great vision and seems to know when to add the right elements at the right moment.

So while his films may have some common elements or themes, but he's more than a one trick pony. I can contrast Boyle with another of my favorite directors, Quentin Tarantino. I love Taratino because he's a film fan a does movies that he likes. I love the stuff he makes, but in a way, you know what to expect from him. He's unpredictable , yet predictable at the same time.

So there you go. Those are some reasons why Danny Boyle is my new favorite director.

Quote from Danny Boyle:
"Once you've had anything like a hit in the movie business it's so easy to get lost. All these people are scuttling around trying to get you to make things, suggesting things and offering deals. The pressure of what to do next is horrible."

Boyle directing the kids in 'Millions'

No comments: