Saturday, August 23, 2008

Les Jeux Olympics (the Olympics) and a pet peeve

The Olympics are almost over. If you didn'know that the Olympics have been going on, you are weird. I've enjoyed watching them, but there is also one big thing that bugs me - not one single American newscaster or sportscaster or athlete can properly pronounce the name of China's capital city. The 'j' in the middle of Beijing is not pronounced with a 'zh' sound like these folks do, but like the word most words that have a 'j' in them - jingle, jump, jungle, banjo, etc.

Sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves - the mispronunciation of words, and especially proper names. Its like someone pronouncing my name 'jimmy' instead of 'Jamie'. It also irks me because I lived in China and speak a bit of Chinese so it grates on my ears to hear 'Beijing' mispronounced. Lastly I'm flabbergasted that no one in the entire USA taught Bob Costas or Al Roker or any of their colleagues how to pronounce the word properly.

I think that's the first time I ever typed the word 'flabbergasted'.

No comments: