Friday, June 20, 2008

did you ever know that you're my hero...

Jo and I went to a funeral today. An uncle of mine, my dad's youngest brother, lost his wife to cancer earlier this week. She'd be going through chemo and radiation and it seemed like she was doing okay. So her death was very unexpected. Sad, sad stuff for sure.

Something really funny happened as we were walking into the church building. The song, "Wind Beneath My Wings" was playing. Adelle turned to Jo and I and as serious as she could possibly be said, "That's Jesus' favorite song."

I personally hate the song. It makes me want to punch myself and then strangle myself. If there was a "Cheese Meter", that song would score the highest score possible. And I don't know what kind of music Jesus likes, but I would bet money that He doesn't like this song in the least. Or maybe He does like it. But His favorite? I doubt that.

The funeral itself was good. It was a Roman Catholic funeral, which I'd never been to before. I got tripped up a little by all the "sit, stand, kneel, say these words" stuff. I think the people around me could tell I didn't have a clue what was going on. I also dismissed myself before they took communion, mainly because I didn't want to try to fake it (act like I know how the RCs do it) but then I was afraid I'd go up front and do something really wrong.

But the message the priest brought was so right on. He preached the Gospel. He encouraged the congregation with some really great things. I don't agree with Roman Catholic theology and couldn't get on board with everything he was saying but overall, he was very faithful to the Good News.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wished we could have been there. Were praying for everyone. Mitzi