Tuesday, June 24, 2008

waiting for the trolley

I take public transportation to work some days. Today was one of those days. I usually take the bus, but today I rode the trolley. The SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority) workers are working on the trolley lines so the trolley schedule is a little off. So this morning I had to wait for about 20 minutes for a trolley to come. I really didn't mind the wait at all since the weather was beautiful - about 75 degrees and sunny with a light breeze.

When I first walked up to the station there were a bunch of SEPTA workers standing around. There were 2 guys doing a little digging, but the rest were just standing around. Over the next 20+ minutes I had the opportunity to see just how much (or little) these 10 - 12 guys did. When the trolley finally came there was one worker using a jackhammer to break up some concrete and the other 10 were standing by watching.

I'm not in the least irritated by this whole situation, but think its hysterically funny. Its even funnier when I think that these guys represent my tax dollars at work. I wonder if these workers ever feel bad about the amount of time they stand (or sit) around doing nothing? I can imagine they feel about as bad as the other municipal and state workers who stand around leaning on shovels waiting for their turns to dig.

No comments: